Economy Takes Toll on Outreach East

Because of the generosity of people like you, Outreach East was able to assist 6,387 individuals within the last year. It’s hard to believe that we were able to accomplish so much without any governmental assistance at all. In fact, 60 percent of our funds are direct donations from individuals, businesses, area churches and community service clubs. The remaining 40 percent is raised through fundraisers such as the Duck Race, Thunder for Hunger, Flower Sale, Rock of Ages Dinner/Concert and other events throughout the year.

Between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017, Outreach East spent $19,500 assisting families with utility shut-off notices, $47,700 for food and $2,000 for rent evictions. Another $10,000 was spent to help people with medical needs, gas cards, personal care items, school supplies and baby items, such as diapers and wipes.

In  fiscal 2017, 2115 families received over 148,812pounds of food from our food pantry.  This does not include donated bakery, bagels, fruit, vegetables and free shelf items. Without the support of such a caring, giving community this would not be possible!

Because of the tough economic times we are still experiencing, the number of clients we are serving have nearly tripled over the past five years and ourthe number of senior clients have increased by 30 % over the last few years. Unfortunately, the economy has negatively impacted our budget and we have experienced a shortfall each year for the last two years.

On a daily basis, I have the privilege of meeting folks just like you and me who, for various reasons, have fallen on hard times and are doing their best to make ends meet. Some of their situations are heartbreaking and we at Outreach East are grateful to be able to be able to make a positive difference in their lives.

But in order for us to continue to help our area families, we really need your help. For instance, if 110 people contributed $10 a month, we could restore the $11,000 we had to cut from our budget for families needs.

If you already support Outreach East, thank you very much. If not, please consider making a donation today, or click here to see all the ways you can help us. Your generosity could make a huge difference in someone’s life.

Jan Lebert, Director

updated 09/25/2017