Need Help?

How do I get help from Outreach East?

You must come in person to Outreach East. If it’s your first visit, you must complete paperwork and bring the following:

  • Valid Government-issued ID (Driver’s License, State ID, or Military ID) showing your current home address
  • DHS Papers (Summary of Benefits, Notice of Case Action, Decision Notice, etc.)
  • Proof of Income (Employment Pay Stub, SSI Check Stub or Proof of Benefits, etc.)
  • Social Security Cards for each child living in the home
  • Most Recent Income Tax Return (1040 page that lists dependents)

Financial help including Consumer Shut-offs and Rent Evictions are only processed on Wednesdays. You must first apply for SER (State Emergency Relief) assistance through DHS (Department of Human Services). They’ll provide you with a Decision Notice within 10 days; you’ll need to bring that notice with you to Outreach East on a Wednesday. The easiest, fastest way to apply and get your Decision Notice is by creating an online account and applying for SER Assistance through DHS’s client web site, MiBridges. You will be able to view and print your Decision Notice as soon as it becomes available, instead of waiting for it in the mail. Click here to create a MiBridges account and/or apply for SER assistance.

How often can I receive help?

  • Food Orders: every 30 days.
  • Personal Care Items: shampoo,  deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste (every 60 days) – toilet paper and soap (every 30 days).
  • Clothing: Every 60 days.
  • Financial Assistance: (for utility shut-offs, evictions, etc.) every six months, depending on availability of funds.



In an emergency you dial 9-1-1 for police, fire and ambulance. If you are facing a life threatening emergency, 9-1-1 is the correct number to call.

Michigan 2-1-1

Michigan 2-1-1 is a free, confidential service that connects you with local community-based organizations across the state offering more than 30,000 different programs and services for people seeking help with a variety of things: food, utilities, housing & homelessness, veterans & military affairs, children & families, reentry services, disaster preparedness & response, transportation, and tax assistance.

Last year more than half a million Michigan residents turned to 2-1-1 for health and human service information and referrals and the numbers continue to grow. If you need help for yourself, a neighbor or a loved one, call 2-1-1, click here to visit their web site, or click here to search the 2-1-1 online database to find out where to get help.

Whether you are looking for medical help, foreclosure prevention programs, shelter or utility assistance, help with food or clothing, or any other challenge facing your family, a call to Michigan 2-1-1 may provide the answers and help you are looking for.