Even though the economy is improving some, we are seeing approximately a 30 % increase in senior clients and single clients; donations are down and the number of families in need continues to increase. Most people, especially seniors on fixed income, with inflation , rising gas prices and medical bills have to make hard decisions on where to cut spending,
Struggling with the 8.3% inflation in the consumer price index in April – slowing slightly from the March figure which was the largest year-over-year increase since 1981,(over 40 years) according to the Labor Department. The national average gas price reached a record high Wednesday of $4.40 a gallon. And global food prices are climbing after shortages caused by Russia’s war against Ukraine and other supply chain problems. Food banks across the United States are struggling to fill their shelves due to supply chain issues, labor shortages, price inflation, and the effects of climate change on our food systems.
Inflation affects everyone including food pantries where cost have gone up substantially on items we purchase. Including our commitment to provide eggs, milk and protein, which are seeing some of the greatest impact from inflation. Gas prices affect distribution cost. Businesses that donated food products have even slowed (approximately down 30% ) due to cut backs in productions from the manufacturers.
Fortunately, there are many ways you can help our communities and Outreach East:
1) Participate in any of our current events. See all of our current events by clicking here.
2) Donate food, personal, clothing items, & pet food. See a list of our current needs by clicking here.
3) Check out our Online Store / Auction Site at https://www.outreacheast.shop
4) Consider holding a personal care item drive at your work. We are always in need of shampoo, soap, toilet paper , tooth paste, deodorant, laundry soap, dish soap- most all of these items are purchased and sure are appreciated. Call us at (810) 653-7711 for more information.
5) Monetary donations are always appreciated and accepted in person, by mail, or online via PayPal. No donation is too small; every bit helps! Checks made payable to Outreach East may be mailed to: Outreach East, PO Box 61, Davison, MI 48423. Donations may be made online via PayPal by clicking the donate button below:
6) If you buy or sell on eBay, donate a portion of your sale or purchase to Outreach East through their Giving Works program. Every bit helps. Click here for more information.
7) Enroll in Kroger’s Community Rewards Program. Click here for instructions on how to enroll or update your account.
8) Like and Follow us on Facebook by clicking here to receive updates of what we have going on. You can help by inviting your friends to like our page, and sharing our status updates with them as well.
9) Donate Box Tops for Education. They may be dropped off in person or mailed to: Outreach East, PO Box 61, Davison, MI 48423. When Jan Lebert, Outreach East Director, speaks at local schools, she donates the Box Tops to the children for their school. Learn more about the Box Tops for Education program by clicking here.
10) Volunteer – stop in and ask for Jan during regular hours or apply online here
Remember every bit helps no amount of giving is too small.
Thank you for all your support. We really appreciate it and could not help all our local families in need without you!